Everton have been given a major boost ahead of their match with QPR during the weekend after it was revealed that both Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell will be fit for this match. Jack Rodwell and Leon Osman have been the major injury worries for Everton manager David Moyes, and their return to the first-team action ahead of this crucial encounter will be viewed with excitement from the manager. Both these players did not play for Everton in the match against Bolton – a match that Everton lost 2-1 in very difficult circumstances. Following the defeat, Everton were condemned to yet another struggle in the Premier league weekend.
Even though QPR are struggling down near the bottom of the table, the away match at Loftus Road will be a major challenge for Everton. Both Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell made their comeback for Everton in the match against Bolton. Even though it was a reserve match on Tuesday, it would have provided David Moyes with the option of having two great players in his squad by the time Everton kick-off against QPR. Both these players played around 45 min in the match, which ended up as a 2-2 draw. The former Everton player and current reserve team manager Alan Stubbs has said that both these players will be fit for the match against QPR.
“Ossie was very good from the off and got 45 minutes under his belt, which should put him in contention for Saturday. He should have scored twice and I told him that at half-time, but he was our chief instigator in the first half. He showed some fantastic first touches and is just a very, very intelligent footballer so it is great for the manager to have him back in contention. Jack also played 60 minutes,” Alan Stubbs said after the match.
Everton are looking to make their first signing of the January transfer window. They have already agreed a deal with Landon Donovan on a two-month loan deal, but the arrival of Darron Gibson from Manchester United will mark the first signing for David Moyes.
Cash strapped Everton are looking to finalise the deal for around £ 2 million, which will represent fantastic value for both the player and Everton. Darron Gibson came through the ranks at Manchester United and was highly influential last season in the championship winning squad. However, he has been largely marginalised this season after the arrival of Tom Cleverley back from his loan at Wigan athletic.
As a result, the Republic of Ireland international has said that he would likely Manchester United in order to get some regular first-team football. Everton were one of the first clubs to register an interest in the player and they are expected to finalise the deal for around £ 2 million over the next few weeks. Everton managed to sell their star midfielder Mikel Arteta for around £ 10 million to Arsenal on deadline day in the last transfer window. Even though much of the cash has gone to the banks, it is thought that David Moyes would have at least £ 5 million to spend from that sale.
So far, Everton have already paid £ 1.2 million to Real Sociedad as part of the sell-on fee inserted into Mikel Arteta’s contract. A further £ 2 million was spent on acquiring Landon Donovan on a loan deal, which means that the remaining £ 2 million has now gone to Darron Gibson. Hence, it is highly unlikely that Everton will be able to bring in another player during the January transfer window, but David Moyes will be more than happy with Gibson.